- a large basket, esp one of a pair slung over a beast of burden
- one of a pair of bags slung either side of the back wheel of a motorcycle, bicycle, etc
- (esp in the 18th century)
- a hooped framework to distend a woman’s skirt
- one of two puffed-out loops of material worn drawn back onto the hips to reveal the underskirt
Now he had a picture in his head of friendly old Alex Marshall waiting on the beach in his best jersey, map at the ready, panniers all packed, hopes high, looking around for a riding partner who wasn’t going to show— unless Tom drove a hundred miles out of his way to meet him.
Knox, Ruthie (2012-02-13). Ride with Me: A Loveswept Contemporary Romance (Kindle Locations 105-107). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition.